Wednesday 11 June 2014

Cambodia - Part 1


The search to make a difference


In my short youthful time on this earth I have come to learn that I possess the mindset of a dreamer, or as some may say 'has her head in the clouds'. I love being a dreamer. I wouldn't want to be anything else, because it is through these abundance of dreams, perhaps too many dreams, that I have created a path for myself which has led me to many wonderful, cultural places all over the world. Places that I would have never thought possible to see nor had I thought possible to exist. Places that have opened my eyes, stolen my heart and left me with hope, bewilderment, unforgettable memories and amazing friends. I have met inspiring and encouraging people that have unknowingly changed my life and helped me to achieve things that I never knew possible and now my whimsical dream of changing the world has bought me here, to the kingdom of Cambodia. An ancient, mysterious, tropical destination in the middle of South East Asia, bordered by Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and the South China Sea.

Cambodia is a country that is still in 'developing' status due to it's dark and violent history as well as significantly high levels of corruption. With recent statistics showing that Cambodia is, in fact, the most corrupt of all countries in Asia (www.transparency.org). These factors play a crucial part in slowing the process of growth and progression for Cambodia, from a 'developing' to a 'developed' country.


When you hear about the dark and violent history of Cambodia you can truly understand why the country has only recently began to show growth. From 1970 to 1974 Cambodia wore the brunt of the Vietnam war becoming a battlefield for the US and Vietnam soldiers. During the war American Bombers were dropped on Cambodian soil and took the lives of many innocent people while fuelling rage amongst the citizens which would later influence them to join the Khmer Rouge guerrilla movement, one of the worst genocides in recent history. From 1975 - 1978 nearly 25% of the Cambodian population were killed under the reign of Pol Pot. He was an admirer of communism and envisioned a country that would be removed of all western innovations, where everyone would be converted to peasants and where capitalism would be obsolete. This meant that all during his reign all educated people, Buddhists, Monks, Engineers, Teachers and anyone who lived in the cities would be sentenced to death. In these short three years the country witnessed what one would describe as horrific genocide and it wasn't until January of 1979 that the reign was overpowered. With the first democratic elections held in 1993, it was only from then on that the people of Cambodia could live in peace. 































With the country in 'developing' status it has become a well known ground for NGO's. Many large organisations have set up here to combat the common issues that developing countries face such as malaria, poverty and hunger, with some big names such as Angelina Jolie and Bill Gates putting Cambodia in the spotlight. Amongst these larger organisations there are also hundreds of smaller organisations here to help the people of Cambodia grow and achieve self sustainability. They provide all sorts of services, from training and development, to medical and education. Many of the organisations are founded by ex-pats who came here with the same mindset as I had come here for, to make a difference. Now their organisations provide many jobs and services and contribute to this growing economy. During my stay I make it a priority to dine at the abundance of restaurants and cafes run by NGO's. They are relatively easy to come across through Trip Advisor or word of mouth and each time I set myself down in one of the countless NGO run businesses I indulge in a great meal or a great experience while knowing I'm contributing to something greater. 


I call Siem Reap home for the next 10 days. I have chosen Siem Reap, as opposed to Phnom Penh (the capitol), simply because of the fact that it is a less developed city. For example, there are no high rises and a lot less traffic congestion however it still has a high tourism presence and holds many characteristics unique to a popular tourist destination, such as vast varieties of restaurants and cuisines, many hotels and guest houses ranging from 5 to 1 star, markets for the hagglers and of course the dozens of tuk-tuks and motorbikes that line the streets waiting to pounce on the next tourist wandering curiously through the city. It is, after all, the gateway to the ancient Angkor Wat temples and many people come here to witness the beauty of this ancient wonder of the world. 


Before I had left Australia, I had emailed a few schools and orphanages to see if my newly founded NGO could provide assistance. It's not easy coming to a foreign place and trusting a complete stranger but I felt as though if I was going to go ahead with my good will I may have to jump in the deep end just this once and hope for the best. What made it especially difficult is the unfortunate set up of 'fake' orphanages for generating profits from tourists. I had to be wary of the people I spoke to in order not to be scammed. It was a sad reminder of the kind of corruption and exploitation that goes on in this part of the world and how some will resort to terrible measures in order to make money.

My jumping in the deep end landed me at a small orphanage on the outskirts of Siem Reap. The tuk-tuk drove me from my guest house along the one main road through Siem Reap, a two lane tarmac road shared by motorbikes, cars, trucks, bicycles and tuk tuks, each one beeping to notify the other that they are going to overtake. I don't think road rules exist in this part of the world but everyone seems to manage to successfully avoid collision, setting up their own set of road rules that consist of beeping horns and flashing lights. We turn off down a dirt track towards the local villages to a place where fifty+ children call home. The Sok Cambodia Orphanage. 


Mr Sok, who was orphaned as a young child, had been running the orphanage for the last 9 years with the help of friends in countries such as Australia, America and Austria. In 2013 he pursued his passion and opened a free school for the children in under privileged villages outside of town, housing volunteer English and Japanese teachers who pass through on vacation or gap years. Many of the children in the villages outside of Siem Reap come from very poor families and to have a school to go to where food and education is provided is a blessing for them. I quickly become fond of the work Mr Sok is doing as well as all the children living in the orphanage and decide to spend my days finding more about what life is like for them.


The children come from various villages outside Siem Reap. Some have lost both parents, some only one. Some have had their parents leave for Thailand in order to find work due to the limited industries in Siem Reap, especially when their main income comes from rice which is only harvested six months of the year in the rainy season.  For the parents of these children, if they are not harvesting out in the fields in the scorching hot sun, some spend their days drinking rice wine, mustering up what they can sell for money. Fruits, crickets, insects and dogs are some of the things that they will sell in order to provide for their families. Those that have found work in the city often take a two hour bicycle ride there and back. It is a hard life for some of these families in the villages but the fact is that 70% of Cambodians live in villages like these. They live with the bare essentials, no electricity, limited access to wholesome foods and medical treatment. It's a life so different from our own. It's a vision of the past for us.



What I find to be most humbling though, is that no matter what background the children come from, they are so eager to learn. I see it in their faces when I watch them at the school and when I had the privilege of teaching my own class. Even though they have basic resources, they still ride their bikes, or even walk to the school just to watch and listen and learn. Unfortunately there are not enough volunteer teachers so the classes are usually at mixed levels but even still, the younger children sit at the back, eyes and ears wide open writing what they can in their books, some knowing as much as year six maths and some barely knowing their ABC. It is here where I see the importance of education and where I see the future of Cambodia. Through the eyes of these innocent, curious, eager children I see the new generation of Cambodia, a generation without the harsh obstacles those have faced in previous decades. 



I feel a connection to this country, this wondrous place with so much hope for the future and with so much support from the world and now from me. I want to be a part of their journey, I want to see the beautiful people grow and thrive through education and innovation so that one day, when these hopeful children grow to become teachers, and doctors and entrepreneurs, I can look back at this journey and simply smile. 


If you want to find out more about my organisation and what we do please follow us at www.facebook.com/fromauswlove or visit our website www.fromauswithlove.com.au











No comments:

Post a Comment