Thursday 18 June 2015

A Ugandan experience


A recollection of the day I met my sponsored children and my life was touched forever 


I have been in Uganda for only 4 days and have fallen in love. The friendliness and smiles of all the people you meet is so delightful, it's no wonder they call this place 'The Pearl of Africa'. It is now my last few days here in Africa. I have spent over 3 weeks on this amazing, versatile, self sustainable continent. From Zambia, through Malawi, Tanzania and Kenya. My last stop being Uganda, home to the children I sponsor through World Vision, Cavin and Sharon. One who I have known for many years and both whom I am very eager to meet.


Francis, our driver for the journey and Robert, our sponsorship representative, arrive to pick us up from the hotel in Kampala. We set off on the semi-long 8 hour drive to Kitgum, stopping once along the way for a $10 lunch break that feeds the 4 of us. The half completed tarmac road is relatively smooth for much of the drive, aside from the last few kilometers where we dodge potholes until we hit the town of Gulu, where the tarmac stops. We are now in Northern Uganda, a place that has been war-torn until only recently in 2008. You can already see how the 20 years of war has put Northern Uganda behind the rest of the country. Francis tells us it's as if that 20 years were lost in time. While the rest of Uganda was progressing, the North stood still, plagued by violence and fear. Only in 2008 were the last of the people in displacement camps returned to their villages. Some never knowing what life was like outside the camps. Life is very different in this part of the world and I'm soon to get an even closer perspective once we visit the villages tomorrow. For now we check into the Bomah hotel, a fully facilitated hotel incomparable to that of the surrounding area.





In the morning, before we commence the field visits, we stop by the World Vision office of the Kitgum project. As we arrive we are greeted by the manager Calvin and introduced to all the staff. It's great to see that here, so far from home, is the office of all the people that have been involved in the development and care of the Kitgum project which I have been supporting for much of my adult life. The staff are so happy to meet us and I am likewise happy to meet them. 

Here in Kitgum is a team of more than 10 dedicated people who are on the front line of assisting the families in need. As soon as you meet them you sense their devotion and good hearts and its truly humbling to see. Calvin, the manager, spends some time with us and answers all of our questions. I start to get more of an understanding of the work that World Vision do here and begin to develop a greater connection to my involvement here in this remote village in central Africa. 

It was now time to meet the other people who play a huge part in the future of Kitgum and whom have played a part in my life for such a long period of time. The local people themselves. 
We pull up to the small village where Sharon resides and as we disembark we are greeted by many with smiles and handshakes. The sound of cheers and a woman's calling ring in the background as we are prompted to sit on the seats provided for us. Children and mothers gather around, the children sitting across from us, staring curiously at the people that have come from so far to visit. One of these children is Sharon. A 6 year old girl that I have recently started sponsoring.





Sharon's community welcomes us with open arms. The leaders come up to shake out hands and personally thank us. I learn the Ugandan word for thank you quite quickly which makes for better communication with myself and the people I meet. I sense the sincereness in their eyes as we shake hands and look at the person who has touched our lives in so many ways. It's amazing how much can be said through one encounter without words. 

The elders put on traditional songs and dances for us, each song having a distinct meaning. I even get the opportunity to join in on some of the dances, laughing and smiling as I tap my feet to the rhythm of the bongo drums while moving around in circle. At this point I can smell the food cooking as smoke emits from one of the huts. It seems Sharon's mother has prepared a big feast for the community to commemorate our visit. We eat a delicious banquet of traditional foods such as kasava, kidney beans, rice and spinach. Consuming the food just like the locals, no cutlery, just hands. 






After lunch I get the chance to talk to the community. Robert translates for me while I thank them for their hospitality, tell them a little about my life and my involvement in World Vision and answer any questions they may have. I get the chance to hand out lollies to the children and the curious smiles on their innocent faces fills me with joy. Having combined two visits into one day it was time to leave, so we say goodbye to the village people and are thanked once more. It's a strange feeling to receive such gratitude when you yourself feel so happy and privileged to be contributing in such a way that is making a difference to their lives. 





The last and much anticipated stop for the day was to visit Cavin's village. I have been sponsoring Cavin for 10 years so it's almost as if I feel like part of the community already. Although we don't communicate on a regular basis, we have shared many letters and photographs across the years as she grew from a young girl into a young woman. From sponsoring the family directly to sponsoring the community as a whole, I've never had the chance to see first hand how my support and the support of World Vision has played a part in their lives.

As we pull up to the village, we get the same warm welcome that we were given in Sharon's village. The afternoon storm had made its way to Kitgum by this time so the World Vision truck drove us right into the village. I could see the children running into one of the huts to stay out of the rain, however a few waited patiently outside for us. One of them being Cavin.

As I disembarked the truck, I came face to face with a beautiful young woman that has been part of my life for such a long time but whom I have never met. She shakes my hand and I do so in return, and we both lean in to give each other a hug. It was a moment that I had played out in my mind so many times and as I held back tears of joy the moment planted itself in my mind as a cherished memory that would last a lifetime. 

Understanding that it must be a bit overwhelming for both of us, we head into the small dark hut with all the other children and take the seats provided for us. The next half hour was full of many questions, many laughs and the chance to meet some of the other children of the village.




I meet Cavin's auntie. An older woman who has lost her sight. She is assisted over to us where she sincerely thanks me and blesses me for my help. She seems like a very strong, resolute woman and meeting her brings a tear to my eye. To say that these experiences today wouldn't bring the most insensitive people to emotion would be an understatement. The experiences are that of which are a rare opportunity and that of which touch the soul.

The visits were extremely eye opening for me. Allowing me to see how people live and how far they have come since the war, as well as seeing how far they have to go. I have hope for their future and that hope has been upheld by seeing the morals and actions of World Vision. Especially meeting the hard working people in Kitgum, whom I've come to acknowledge as true heroes in this world. The community representatives, the sponsorship coordinators, and all the others who work hard each day to find ways to empower and encourage communities to better themselves.




On a personal level, the visit allowed me to feel considerably closer to the cause that I have been supporting. From home I never got to see what life was like for Cavin. I just put my faith in the organisation I supported and next thing I knew, 10 years had passed and I hadn't seen what changes had took place. Now I can see what my support, and the support of many others contributes too. Back at the office I ask Calvin, "Have you seen much change over these past 10 years?". He replies "We have seen great change, however there is still a long way to go. We are definitely in the right direction and where there is a will there is a way. And there is surely a will".


I leave Uganda, with amazing memories, eye opening experiences, a little more wisdom and a lot more hope. As one wise woman once said "you can't do great things in this world, only small things with great love". Those small things contributing to the significant change that will bring about a rightfully brighter future for many. 



If you wish to find out more information on sponsoring a child through World Vision, visit their website through the below link:

No comments:

Post a Comment